Working for Environmental Justice?
February 04, 2022 | 10:31 AM
Working for Environmental Justice?
If you’re part of an environmental justice organization working with frontline communities in the US, maybe we can help.
We know there are a lot of incredible groups fighting to ensure people living with the reality of climate change and fossil fuel pollution get the clean air, safe water, and basic justice they deserve.
We also know the work is hard. And a lot of times, it doesn’t get the recognition or support it should.
So we launched the Climate Justice for All (CJA) initiative to help these organizations breathe a little easier, backed by the kind of resources and support we’re lucky to have at Climate Reality.
The initiative offers one-time grants of up to $20,000, together with professional support from our team at Climate Reality and the chance to connect with and learn from other groups doing vital work across the US.
We know these aren’t the biggest grants in the world, but maybe one can help you do your work just a little better.
There are some basic criteria. Grants will fund projects that work toward one or more of the following goals:
- Raise awareness on the disproportionate impacts of climate change in frontline communities and the need for clean energy and energy efficiency.
- Mobilize communities against the fossil fuel industry and in support of emissions reduction.
- Engage communities in green workforce development opportunities (related to climate, natural disasters, environment, clean transportation, housing, water and wastewater infrastructure) or in paths for a just transition to clean energy.
- Further community resilience to climate change, environmental injustices, and/or legacy pollution.
We also know that people living in frontline communities that get hit first and worst by climate impacts from storms to rising seas or by pollution from gas pipelines, oil refineries, or other fossil fuel facilities understand these issues in a way others can’t. And a lot of times, they have great ideas on how we can tackle them that don’t get the attention they deserve.
That’s why the CJA initiative exclusively funds organizations where people from these communities make up all or the majority of board, senior leadership, and staff positions.
If your organization doesn’t meet this criterion, we can’t fund you.
If it does, keep reading, especially if you’re in AL, AZ, CA, CO, GA, LA, NC, UT, NV, TN, and TX. We’re strongly encouraging applications from:
- Environmental or climate justice organizations.
- Groups with diverse membership or with a focus on marginalized communities.
- Organizations with established working relationships with frontline communities.
- Faith groups.
- Youth-led climate organizations.
- HBCU campus organizations.
- Grassroots groups.
The grant period runs from May to December of this year.
If you have any questions, we’re holding an online Q&A session on February 16 at 1 PM ET to help people navigate the application process. You can register by clicking here.
To learn more and apply, please visit: www.climaterealityproject.org/apply/grant
Blog Image: Activists with 2021 CJA grantee One Love Global.
Disasters Expo USA, is proud to be supported by Inergency for their next upcoming edition on March 6th & 7th 2024!
The leading event mitigating the world’s most costly disasters is returning to the Miami Beach
Inergency is celebrating 4 years as partner with the Disasters Expo USA 😍 😍